did Burnham URC begin?
Zion Chapel, Gore Road, Burnham
home of the Congregational Church from 1791 to November 1964
Historical records show
that active dissent against the Established Church was present in
the area from at least the middle of the 16th Century, but Burnham
URC dates its beginnings from about 1790 when the Revd John Cooke,
the minister of Maidenhead Congregational Church, began to preach
in Burnham as well. That his early preaching in the area was not entirely
welcomed is evidenced by his being pelted with rotten eggs, being
burnt in effigy and having a ring of burning straw thrown at him.
But he persisted, to such good effect that a chapel was built in Gore
Road - opening on May Day 1791. It is perhaps fitting that when the
church celebrated its Bicentenary in 1990 members from Maidenhead
walked to Burnham to join a special service there.
at the communion table service in Gore Road Church.
Worship and church
life continued in Gore Road until 1964 when the congregation moved
to the present buildings in Stomp Road. A plaque in the vestibule
Church was dedicated for worship on the 21st day of November 1964, continuing
the witness of the Congregational Church, founded in Burnham in 1790,
which worshipped in Zion Chapel, Gore Road, from 1791 to November 1964."
In October 1972
Burnham Congregational Church became Burnham United Reformed Church.
new Congregational Church in Stomp Road dedicated for continued worship
on 21st November 1964.
Summer dress for a service in the new Church